My laundry room has been driving me crazy for a while. It’s a fairly big room right off the garage, so it doubles for a mud room and extra storage as well. I had some basic organizing going on in there…a bench with bins for shoes, a rack between the washer and dryer for detergent, a three bin laundry sorter, but since having Charlotte (and more so since she started eating messy, er, “real” food) I’ve needed to redo the system. My gracious hubby agreed (realizing after the laundry sorter bag fell down yet again and I had a mini-meltdown that something needed to be done), and we spent a couple of weekends making some much needed changes. We have a couple projects to complete before I’m ready to post the “reveal,” but in the meantime I thought I’d share one of the DIY projects I made for the space.
In the “old” laundry room we used to hang our keys on a hook/shelf combo that didn’t fit with my new plan. There are plenty of key hooks on the market, but I figured I probably had all the materials I needed at home, so why buy when you can make?
Of course it was harder than I thought. My first try was a bit of a disaster…the frame I picked was too big, when I distressed it the paint just scratched off, and when only one set of keys hung on it the whole thing tilted sideways. Not exactly what I had in mind.
So back to the drawing board I went (or rather, back to Pinterest). My next attempt came out much nicer, and I am happy to share it with you today!
– an empty frame (I took the glass out of one I already had, but kept the back)
– craft paint
– burlap or other fabric
– hot glue gun
– cup hooks
– craft or metal glue
– decorative keys (I found mine at Hobby Lobby)
Step 1: Paint the frame
I decided to keep my laundry room walls a neutral beige (to prevent having to repaint if/when we move) and just add color with the accents. I chose aqua as my accent color (I’m not quite over my love affair with this color, even after using it abundantly in Charlotte’s party decor). I mixed some aqua paint with white and gray to tone it down a bit, and did two coats.
Step 2: Distress the frame
Of course I had to add a “timeworn” touch, so out came my trusty sandpaper. I was much happier this time with the level of distressing…just a bit of the original white showed through, and it looked worn off rather than scraped off 🙂
Step 3: Cut and mount the backing
I chose a burlap fabric I’d found with a black and white chevron stripe. Using the back of the frame as a template, I cut the burlap to size with an exacto knife. I glued the edges to the back of the frame with hot glue.
Step 4: Attach the hooks
In my first attempt I put the hooks in the middle of the frame, which caused the tilting problem. After browsing Pinterest I realized that I should have screwed the hooks into the bottom of the frame. I measured and marked three dots evenly spaced across the bottom, and used a hammer and nail to give myself a pilot hole to screw each hook into. It was harder than I thought to screw the hooks in straight, but with some pulling and hammering I got them to straighten out ok 🙂
Step 5: Attach the decorative keys to the frame
Since the hooks were not going to be in the middle of the frame, I needed something to go there instead. Lots of people used their monogram, or spelled out KEYS with wooden letters, but I decided it would be cute to mount some old-fashioned keys in the frame. I had planned to just use one big key, but was afraid it would be too heavy for the glue, so I ended up buying a ring of five cast iron keys and using three of them (I’m sure the other two will come in handy for another project at some point :)). In past projects I’d learned that hot glue doesn’t hold metal very well, so I used fast grab tacky glue instead. I let it dry overnight, and it seems to be holding fine. The real test will come when it’s hanging on the wall 🙂
It turned out great, if I do say so myself! I can’t wait to show it to you in its new home! Stay tuned! 🙂