Announcing the arrival of Tessa Anne

She’s here! Tessa Anne arrived at 7:34am on Friday, April 17th 2015. She is our pixie princess at 6 lbs 2 oz and 18 inches long. She’s bitty but perfect!

photo by Christy Hendrick

My repeat c-section was scheduled for 7:30am, but we had to be at the hospital at 5:30am. My mom stayed the night so she could take care of Charlotte. I didn’t think I’d get any sleep the night before, but I got at least a few hours. Before I knew it the alarm went off and it was go time! Chris and I checked in then went up to labor and delivery to get prepped for the surgery. They hooked me up to a monitor to check baby’s heart rate, then the nurse tried to insert my IV. She tried four times. It was by far the worst part of the whole procedure. It was so painful I got light headed and thought for sure I was about to pass out or throw up. She finally got another nurse to try again. I begged my hubby to tell me a story to distract me, so he talked about our trip down the California coast. It worked like a charm and before I knew it the IV had been inserted. The rest of the prep was a breeze. I had to walk down to the OR which was a little weird, but they just draped a blanket around me to cover the back of the hospital gown and we all trouped down the hall. Chris stopped at the “dressing room” to gown up while they took me in and gave me the spinal block. The anesthesiologist was wonderful. She had me sit on the edge of the operating table with my feet on a chair and hold a pillow against me to curl around. I immediately felt my legs get numb as they laid me down and covered me with a warm blanket. It was so soothing and relaxing, the exact opposite of my emergency c-section with Charlotte. They brought Chris in and I noticed the camera around his neck, which was strange since we had decided not to take pictures in the OR. He told me later that my doctor told him to go back and get his camera. I’m so glad he did! They had Tessa out in a matter of minutes. Her sweet cry was the most beautiful sound I’ve ever heard.

They brought her to me so I could see her, then started cleaning her up while they finished with me.

She scored an 8/9 on her APGAR. Chris went with her to the nursery while they finished closing me up, then met me in recovery. Tessa stayed with us the whole time, and we even got to do skin to skin right there.

After about an hour they took us into the hospital room and we spent some time just the three of us. When we were ready we let family know they could come visit. Charlotte was the first to meet her baby sister.

She struggled some the first visit. I think she was freaked out seeing me in the hospital bed, and wanted to leave after just a few minutes. That evening I was able to get out of bed and change out of the hospital gown and into my own clothes, and when my parents brought Charlotte back that night I was sitting up in a chair, which helped Charlotte know I was ok. We spent two nights in the hospital before being released on Sunday morning.

It’s been almost three weeks now, and we are slowly learning the rhythm of this new life stage. Charlotte has done amazingly well adjusting. She loves her little sis so much, and is a huge helper to me. Of course she needs some extra attention and has had a few meltdowns, but nothing unexpected. Chris took the first week off, but is now back to work. My parents spend the day with me, taking care of household chores, entertaining Charlotte, and giving me a break in the afternoon so I can nap. They are lifesavers and I don’t know what I’d do without them. Chris is such a good daddy. He even takes diaper duty throughout the night. Tessa is an angel baby (I hope I didn’t speak too soon). She nurses a lot (every 2-3 hours around the clock) and had a little bit of jaundice in the beginning, but she’s gained almost a pound over her birth weight. She’s already starting to be more alert. I’m so torn between wanting her grow and start interacting and wishing she would stay this little forever. This time I know how it really does go by in the blink of an eye!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s